Spinach mini muffins (make 24)
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Fresh Spinach, packed
- 1/3 Cup Sugar (I used 1/4 cup sugar, still taste wonderful)
- 3-4 Tbsp Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt (I used 1/4 tsp salt)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Place the first 6 ingredients in a food processor and puree.
3. Place the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl and combine.
4. Pour the spinach puree in a large mixing bowl.
5. Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet until combined.
6. Scoop batter into a greased mini muffin tin, 1 Tbsp/well.
7. Bake for 15 minutes.
8. Use a toothpick to check for doneness.
9. Take them out and cool on a rack.
As I finished baking them, took pictures and got ready to post it on the blog, Joshua woke up from his nap. Perfect timing! So I fed him the muffins. He gobbled down THREE immediately! Half hour later, Caleb woke up and did the same as his brother. Wow! I have no idea that the muffins can be such a big hit AND -- with spinach in it!
I made 24 mini muffins. By the end of the day, there were only 4 left, so I just put them in a ziplock bag and put them in the refrigerator. No storage problem there, because they don't last long. I still have no idea why they like it so much. You definitely can't taste any of the spinach.
I use 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour and 1 cup of all-purpose flour to get them having more whole wheat in their diet. I am able to reduce the sugar down to 2 1/2 Tbsp (about 27 g ONLY), and they still taste great! Less sugar the better, right?