Chinese New Year falls on Sunday, February 10th this year. Many moms get busy preparing for food to celebrate the New Year, just like Christmas. The turnip cake is one of the festival food for the holiday. Although it is very time-consuming, all the work is worth it when you see the smile on your love ones.
Turnip cake (filled one 8 by 8 Pyrex glass baking dish)
- rice flour 2 cups (240 g) (在來米粉或粘米粉)
- potato starch 1/2 cup (60 g) (太白粉)
- sliced turnip 750 g
- water 2.5 - 3 cups
- salt 1 tsp
- dried shrimps 2 Tbsp (蝦米)
- shiitake mushroom 4 pieces
- fried onion 2 Tbsp
- Chinese sausages 2 links (廣式臘腸)
1. Soak the dried shiitake mushrooms and shrimps in warm water to soften them. Then cut into small pieces. Also cut the sausages into small pieces.
2. Mix the rice flour with water. Set aside.
3. Spray the Pyrex tray with cooking spray.
3. Heat up the pan. Saute the mushrooms, shrimps and sausages.
4. Add the sliced turnips and seasonings (salt), saute for a minute. Add the rice flour mixture.
5. Mix well and pour the mixture into the Pyrex tray.
6. Steam 5 for 40 minutes on high heat. Let cool completely in tray.
7. Cut into desired thickness and pan-fry until golden on both sides. If the cake is sticky to cut, smear some oil on the knife for easy handling.
8. Serve with minced garlic in soy sauce.