Monday, December 19, 2011

Hematuria (26W1D)

I got up at 7:30 this morning. As I wiped myself clean after using the toilet, I saw pink. Shocking! I called my husband immediately -- Come! I then called my OB office. I cried out immediately as the call went through -- I am bleeding!! I could hear my voice was shaky. The answering service told me someone would contact me late. My husband then laid down by my side as  -- he was very sweet at moments like this, always giving me his support quietly but warmly.

The doctor called back within 5 minutes, and she told me to go to the OB triage service in the hospital as soon as possible, and they would be expecting me. My husband and I went in right away. When we were on the road, I could still feel the babies moving -- a good sign.

When I arrived the hospital, we were surprised to find out that I wans't actively bleeding, and the blood was from the urine. Now I remembered this morning the urine was darker than usual. The diagnosis was hematuria, and the physician assistant thought it was caused by urinary tract infection, a common condition during pregnancy. She prescribed some antibiotics for me. By noon, when I filled out my prescription, my urine has become clear with some clots. They told me to call the office the next day to check on the urine culture result.

I called back the next day, and they told me the urine culture was NEGATIVE, which meant it was not urinary tract infection, then what was the real cause? They told me to follow up with my primary care physician to find out the real cause. To tell the truth, I was so exhausted being pregnant and seeing so many different doctors. I really don't want to go to more doctor's appointment, but I called anyway. My PCP is a wonderful doctor; she is very knowledgeable and caring. I was surprised to get an appointment before Christmas. She did some blood work and the results were all normal. She told me to see a nephrologist, but I really didn't have the energy to. I also did a renal ultrasound, which showed no stone. The symptoms have resolved, so I just left it like that. It is still an unknown today. However, the most important thing was that the babies were fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Table Of Contents

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...