This is a traditional food in Northern China, where my father came from. He introduced me to this delicious food. I remember he would buy a few for me when I was little whenever he got a chance. I followed Carol's recipe. Wow! It is delicious!! I can't believe I can make such delicious food! Another great example that when flour meets oil, amazing things happen. The beef and the scallions make it so juicy inside. Watch out for the first bit!
Pan-fried beef buns (makes 18 buns):
For the wrappers:
- 300 g all-purpose flour
- 100 g boiling hot water
- 90 g cold water
- 1/8 tsp salt
For the fillings:
- 600 g 85% lean ground beef
- 325 g green scallions, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp chicken powder
- 100 g water
1. Mix the salt and the flour together.
2. Add the hot boiling water to the flour. Use a fork or a pair of chopsticks to mix the flour. It will be in lumps.
3. Pour 2. in the bread machine, and add 90 g cold water to make it into a dough. Let rest in the bread machine for 1 hour.
4. Mix the ground beef, chopped scallions and seasonings together. Gradually mix in the water and stir in the same direction to allow the water to be absorbed. Roughly divide the filling into 18 parts.
5. When 1 hour is up, take the dough out. Spread some four on the counter. Evenly divide the dough into 18 pieces (about 27 g per piece). Use flour to help you if the dough gets sticky, but don't use too much.
6. Roll the pieces into 4-inch in diameter. Wrap in one part of filling, and seal it the same way as you are going to make Boa Zi. Continue until you finish 9 of them.
7. Heat up 2 Tbsp oil in pan. Set the heat in medium (on the low side). Line up the buns in pan. Rock the pan once to make sure they don't stick to the bottom of the pan. If you don't hear the sizzling sound, turn up the heat just a little bit. If you see smoke, turn it down a little bit. Stay on the appropriate heat and fry the buns for 7 minutes on one side.
8. Flip the buns. Add 1-2 Tbsp oil in necessary. Fry the buns for another 7 minutes.
9. Serve with tea.
|So juicy inside!|