Thursday, September 8, 2011

Early Risk Assessment (11W4D)

Today is my appointment to have the prenatal screening test done. It's a raining day and a Monday. I beat the traffic to get to the clinic on time. The test is called Early Risk Assessment, a pretty non-invasive test to screening my risk for genetic abnormalities. It is consist of two parts:



Nuchal Translucency:
This is a ultrasound procedure to measure the membrane thickness behind the baby's neck. The narrower the better. When combined with blood tests, it has a very good sensitivity. The sonographer did Baby B first, the baby on my upper right side. (I learned later that this baby is the non-presenting twin.) It was quick and painless. Baby B was very cooperative; didn't move a lot. Then she was onto Baby A, the baby on my lower left side, the presenting twin. It took her a while, but still couldn't get Baby A to change position. The nose bone has to be in the same picture with the neck, so they have to be at the right position. She gently used the probe to push my belly, hoping that Baby A would move a little, but no luck. She told me to lay on my left side, then on my right side, no luck either. Then she told me to get up and use the restroom, sometimes it would help. I used this little break to talk to Baby A. I said, "Come on, Baby. Change your position so we don't have to be here all day." Then magic happened!! When I went back to the exam room, Baby A changed his position!! This made things a lot easier. We were out of there in 15 min!! I know these are sweet babies! :-*

Blood Work:
I then went to the phlebotomists to get my blood drawn. It is actually finger sticks, just like diabetes patients checking their blood glucose. First, they used the lancets to bleed the finger tips. Wiped off the first drop, then dotted my blood in several circles.

I know it sounds crazy, but I can already feel my babies moving. I have been craving about spicy food in August, and I can feel movements when I eat spicy food. It feels like heart beats. Now I am not so sure... However, sometimes when I heat up my lunch and I smell the food, I feel a kick in the belly. That is pretty obvious. Anyway, it should become more and more clear soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Table Of Contents

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...