I first learned about Bruschetta is in the movie "Julie and Julia". There was a scene of Julie making bruschetta for dinner. It was only as short as 1 second, but I was deeply attracted by the beautiful colors and the golden brown bread. I tried to make it at home and also take advantage of my in-law's beautiful tomatoes -- bright read and bright yellow!! The baguette, when grilled to golden brown, is so crunchy! This is so easy and delicious!!
Bruschetta (serving 2 as main dish):
- 1 loaf of baguette (we eat a lot)
- 2 large red tomatoes and 2 large yellow tomatoes (my in-law's tomatoes are as big as a fist)
- 1 cup of fresh basil leaves
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 3 Tbsp of lemon juice
- A pinch of salt
1.Slice the bread diagonally to generate a bigger surface area.
2. Heat up a generous amount of oilve oil in pan. (3/4 cup to 1 cup.)
3. Grill the bread to golden brown, about 3 min.
4. At the same time, dice the tomatoes and chop the basil and garlic. Season with lemon juice.
5. Flip the bread. Grill the other side to golden brown, about 2 min.
6. Season the tomato mix just before serve.
7. Scoop the tomato mix on the bread.