Friday, August 19, 2011

Antepartum Unit (8W5D)


Because I am having twins, I am automatically being categorized as "high risk". My OB wants me to see the doctors at the antepartum unit in additional to my regular prenatal visits. Today is my first visit, and the clinical fellow at the antepartum unit did my ultrasound first. He was very kind and patient, and he explained everything to me in great detail. He told me my twins are in different sacs and have their own placenta. He told me this is a good thing. He said that babies don't like to share food and space, so each baby is better to have their own sac and placenta, so that they will grow better.

He also told me that twin pregnancy is at high risk for preterm labor (meaning low birth weight, immature babies), gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, etc. This really got me worry. What can I do to prevent these things from happening? I remember I've been to NICU once for work-related purpose. I saw those tiny babies who were born too early. Oh~ they were so tiny, about the size of my hand! There's not much useful information online. Most of the websites, and even my doctors, said that so far there's no known ways to prevent preterm labor. I just can't help worrying and feeling helpless.

I found a book online and borrowed it from the library:

When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets or Quads
by Barbara Luke and Tamara Eberlein
Published by HarperCollins, 1999-first edition; 2004-second edition, 2011-third edition
ISBN 978-0-06-180307-9 496 pages




This is a wonderful book, including a lot of useful information about the importance of weight gain, nutrition and dietary supplement in multiple pregnancy. Also it tells you want to eat or to do to minimize the risk of multiple pregnancy complications, such as preterm labor. That is all I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Table Of Contents

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...