Thank God it's Friday!! After the hot weather earlier this week, the weather has been really nice. So nice that we don't want to get up in the morning to go to work. That's why I so look forward to the weekend. We got some beautiful spinach from my in-laws, fresh from the garden, so I want to make something good with it. Making lasagna is a good idea! Again, I went to Carol's website for instructions.
- 150 g Spinach (50 g spinach juice)
- 300 g All-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 Tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 150 g ground beef
- 150 g ground pork
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can of whole tomato (12 oz)
- 8 oz. Ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- Leftover spinach pulp
- Mozzarella cheese
1. Process the spinach (plus 1/2 cup of water) in a blender. Run it through a strainer.
2. Mix all ingredients for the pasta together to form a dough. Cover with a dam paper towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
3. Make the meat sauce: Crush the tomatoes in the blender. Heat up 2 Tsp oil in pan. Add the ground meat and vegetables, stir until they are done. Add the crushed tomatoes. Cook until the sauce is slightly reduced. Season with ground black pepper, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasonings.
4. Run the dough through a pasta maker to make it into thin slices. Cut the pasta into desired length (8" x 4"). Boil them for 3 minutes and rinse with cold water. Remove excess water.
5. Mix the leftover spinach pulp, egg and ricotta cheese together.
6. Assemble: Smear the bottom of an 8" x 8" Pyrex dish with 2 Tsp meat sauce. Lay down the pasta as the first layer, then the meat sauce, ricotta cheese mix, mozzarella cheese. Repeat until all pasta is used, ending with a pasta layer. Sprinkle about 1-2 meat sauce on top and mozzarella cheese.
7. Bake at 200 C (400 F) for 25 minutes.