Monday, June 20, 2011

Spinach noodle soup 菠菜蛋花肉絲麵

Spinach is ready to harvest in my in-law's garden. I am trying to come up with so many different ways to consume the spinach. Probably everyone in my generation would link spinach with the hero "Popeye the sailor man". (I don't know if kids now watch it anymore.) Popeye always became so strong after he ate a can of spinach and was able to rescue his sweetheart, Olive, from the rascal. Indeed, spinach has a lot of iron in it, which will help in the production of red blood cells, in turn increases oxygen carrying to tissues and muscles.

I remember my father would make the spinach noodle soup for me when I was little. He would also put in some shredded pork and an egg. Now I am reproducing this noodle soup in my own kitchen as I remember the taste from childhood.
See how pretty the spinach is !!

Ingredients:
  • A bundle of spinach
  • 1 egg
  • 4 oz pork tenderloin, thin sliced
  • a few slices of ginger
  • 2 bundles of noodles

Instructions:

1. Take a pot, heat up 2 Tbsp cooking oil. Add the thin ginger and pork slices in. Cook until they change color.

2. Add 6-7 cups of water. Cook until it boils.

3. In a separate pot, cook the noodles.

4. Break the egg in a bowl, add it to the soup when it boils. Stir to create the egg drop pattern.

5. Add the spinach (washed and cut in smaller pieces).

6. Add some salt to season the soup. Put the noodles in a big bowl, top with the spinach soup.

7. Sprinkle some chopped scallions to garnish and 1 tsp sesame oil before serve.


Popeye the sailor man

No comments:

Post a Comment

Table Of Contents

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...