I guess you can tell what this week's theme is, that's right, spinach! The recent weather makes the vegetables in my in-law's garden grow really well, so our dinner table is full of my in-law's labor of love. We love starchy and creamy risotto very much, and it's so easy and quick to make. Well, I know my way of cooking risotto is not authentic, so please leave some comments if you have good tips or suggestions.
Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
- Fresh spinach, diced
- Fresh shiitake mushrooms, diced
- Medium yellow onion 1, chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Japanese sushi rice 3/4 cup (1 cup = 240 mL)
- Water 4 cups-4 1/2 cup
- Cream of mushroom 1 can (=10 3/4 oz)
- A pinch of ground pepper
- Parmesan cheese, grated 1-2 Tbsp
1. Heat up 2 Tbsp olive oil in pan.
2. Add the chopped garlic and onion, cook until the aroma comes out.
3. Add the mushroom and spinach and stir well. You can add as many as you want. I used one pound of spinach and 8 shiitake mushrooms.
4. Add the rice and water. I use the ratio of rice : water = 1 : 5 as a starting point. You can add more of less, depending on the rice you use and the consistency you like.
5. Cook about 10 minutes or until the rice is increased in size. Check consistently to it doesn't burn. Add more water if needed.
6. Mix in a can of Cream of Mushroom. Sprinkle some black pepper.
7. Serve on a plate. Grate some Parmesan cheese if desired.