It's getting hard to watch the news now. There are flood, fire, tornado, earthquakes, lethal bacteria infection and wars going on around the world. I should be thankful that I can sit home and enjoy my ice cream. This is to continue and use up the egg whites from yesterday's vanilla ice cream. I pureed some berries but added some chopped fruits so that there would be fruit chunks. The natural smell from the fresh berries makes this ice cream smell good and look good. That's the charm of homemade ice cream. It's always exciting at ice cream time.
Ingredients (make about 2 pints = 1000 mL)
A. Heavy whipping cream 150 g
B. Fresh mixed berries (blueberries, strawberries and raspberries) 200 g
C. 4 egg whites, lemon juice 1/2 tsp
D. sugar 70 g, cold water 70 g
1. Beat A on low speed only until 60-70% maximum volume (slightly running when the bowl is tilt). Store in the refrigerator.
2. Beat C until soft peaks form (showing curly tail).
3. Cook D to 115 C (240 F).
4. Slowly pour the hot syrup into the beaten egg whites in a string motion as beating the mixture on high speed until stiff peaks form.
5. Puree the mixed berries and mix it with the Italian meringue. Add in about 50 g chopped fruits.
6. Add in the beaten whipped cream. Mix well. Freeze for at least 8 hr.