I want to bake something for my residents to thank them for their help this year. They told me they love sweets before, so I thought about making some brownies. This recipe is from the America's test kitchen. I love their shows, magazines and website. I appreciate their honesty and have gone great length to test everything, including recipes, baking products. kitchen tools and many more. They are like the consumer reports, telling we consumers what to buy and what not to buy. Thanks for their efforts; I feel well informed as a consumer, just like everyone else. Now, this recipe has been improved and tested by the America's test kitchen. It includes the nice chewy texture of a boxed mix, and rich chocolate flavor of a homemade brownie. The trick is the ratio of the saturated fat to the unsaturated fat: 30% and 70%.
Ingredients (a 13" x 9" rectangular baking dish, making 24 2-inch brownies):
- 1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso (optional)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate , finely chopped (see note)
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter , melted
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups (17 1/2 ounces) sugar
- 1 3/4 cups (8 3/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate , cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Referring to directions in Making a Foil Sling (related), make sling using the following steps: Cut 18-inch length foil and fold lengthwise to 8-inch width. Fit foil into length of 13 by 9-inch baking pan, pushing it into corners and up sides of pan; allow excess to overhang pan edges. Cut 14-inch length foil and fit into width of pan in the same manner, perpendicular to the first sheet (if using extra-wide foil, fold second sheet lengthwise to 12-inch width). Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Whisk cocoa, espresso powder (if using), and boiling water together in large bowl until smooth. Add unsweetened chocolate and whisk until chocolate is melted. Whisk in melted butter and oil. (Mixture may look curdled.) Add eggs, yolks, and vanilla and continue to whisk until smooth and homogeneous. Whisk in sugar until fully incorporated. Add flour and salt and mix with rubber spatula until combined. Fold in bittersweet chocolate pieces.
3. Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake until toothpick inserted halfway between edge and center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes.
4. Cool in the glass dish for 10 minutes. Then, using foil overhang, lift brownies from pan. Return brownies to wire rack and let cool completely, about 1 hour. Cut into 2-inch squares and serve.