Thursday, May 12, 2011

Salty chicken coleslaw 涼拌風雞

Every culture has its own way of preserving food, and salt is almost always as the common ingredient. The way I am familiar with is to use salt (about 2% weight of the meat) and Chinese peppercorns (about 0.2% weight of the meat) to marinate the meat for 3 days. Then put them outside to let the wind and the sun dry it up slowly (usually 3 days is enough). After the meat becomes dry, they can be frozen for a long time. When you are ready to eat it, simply spread some wine on the surface of the meat and tiny bit of sugar and steam it.


I used some chicken drumsticks to make the salty chicken. I like to use dark meat, because it has fat in it and tastes better later. After I steamed it and cooled it, I tore them into small pieces. This is a good time to remove the peppercorns and skin and fat from the meat. Save the juice! Mix it with sliced scallion, hot pepper sauce, sesame oil and the juice from the steamed chicken. It is a great summer dish. It also reminds me of my grandmother. She used to make sausages, Chinese bacon and salty chicken when I was little. :-)

 Air-dry and sun-dry salty meat

1 comment:

Table Of Contents

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...