Friday, June 3, 2011

Salmon teriyaki 照燒鮭魚

It was very warm and full of thunder storms all day long yesterday. However, the weather today is totally different from yesterday. Although the rain has stopped, it has cooled down to the mid-60s. Don't be fooled by the sunshine and blue sky, the wind feels so cold outside. My in-laws gave us so much fresh produce. Some are from their own backyard garden, and some are from the local grocery stores. I'd better use them up before they've gone bad. I also grilled some salmon to go with the vegetables.

Salmon is such an easy thing to cook. I like to grill it in the oven rather than in a pan, mainly because I don't have to pay attention to it, and I can spare myself to cook something else. Another advantage is the kitchen won't be smelly or smokey. I use a oven-proof baking dish, line the dish with a piece of foil (so it's really easy for cleanup), then put the salmon in. I simply just use some cooking wine, salt, pepper and parsley to season the fish (about 1 pound = 454 grams), then slide it in the oven and back at 375F (190C) for 35 minutes.

Today I tried something different. I was trying to season it with the teriyaki sauce (照燒醬). There are commercial teriyaki sauce available, such as Lee Kim Kee (李錦記), or you can make your own. 

Teriyaki sauce:
  • 4 Tbsp soy sauce (I use Kikkoman low sodium soy sauce  萬家香薄鹽醬油)
  • 1 Tbsp cooking wine
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp corn starch

1. Mix everything well in a bowl, make sure no crumbs of corn starch. Heat the mix in a sauce pan to thicken it. Let cool.

I marinated the salmon with the teriyaki sauce overnight in the refrigerator. On the next day dinner time, preheat the oven to 375F. Line the baking dish with a piece of tin foil, put the salmon in, and bake for 35 minutes. After the salmon was done, I poured/brushed more teriyaki sauce on top (freshly made), then sprinkled some sesame seeds. It looks really oriental and tastes oriental too ! Worth the try!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Table Of Contents

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...