Sunday, April 8, 2012

Lemon bundt cake 檸檬磅蛋糕

It's weekend. I know everyday is the same to me now. I am still on maternity leave being with the babies, but I really want to do something special tonight. Let's return to baking -- something I haven't done for a long while. I saw this recipe on America's Test Kitchen, and I've always love lemon pound cake, so I was going to try it. I modified the recipe a little bit, because there were tons of butter and sugar in it. The outcome of the modified version was acceptable. However, every time I bake a bundt cake, it turns out there are a lot of holes on my cake. Is the temperature of my oven too high? Can somebody tell me?


Lemon Bundt Cake (12 cup bundt pan):
  • 11 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature (original recipe calls for 18 Tbsp)
  • 3/4 cup sugar (original recipe calls for 2 cups)
  • 3 large eggs plus 1 yolk
  • zest of 3 lemons
  • 3 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 3 cups of cake flour (original recipe uses all-purpose flour)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 milk (original recipe uses buttermilk)
Glaze:
  • 1 tsp lemon juice (original recipe calls for 2-3 Tbsp)
  • 1 tsp milk (original recipe calls for 1 Tbsp buttermlk)
  • 3/4 cups of confectioner's sugar (original recipe calls for 2 cups, 8 oz)

Instructions:
1. Coarsely chop  the zest and soak it in the lemon juice.
2. Cream the butter and sugar thoroughly (original recipe says 3 minutes).
3. Add half of the eggs. Mix it really well, then add the rest of the eggs. Mix well.
4. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt) and 1/2 of the wet ingredients (milk, vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice). Gently fold it in.
5. Alternate the dry and wet ingredients. Gently fold it together.
6. Fill the bundt pan (brushed with 1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp flour) with batter, and bake at 350 F for 45 minutes.
7. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn it onto a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes.
8. Make the glaze: mix the 3 ingredients together. Add the liquid slowly and watch for the right consistency.
9. Drizzle the glaze on top of the slightly warm cake. This will create a crusty texture.
10. For better looking, let the cake cool completely, and drizzle the other half of the glaze on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Table Of Contents

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...