'Tis the tomato season!! Bright red tomatoes are growing so beautifully in my in-law's garden. Not only do they look bright, they smell good and taste so delicious!! The only problem is that they produce too many of them. I have to think of many ways to consume them. We still have homemade canned tomato sauce from 2007! :-) Here are a few easy ways to enjoy them.
Meat sauce spaghetti (serving 2):
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 4-5 medium to large tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp ground Parmesan cheese
- a pinch of salt and ground black pepper
- A pinch of dried Italian seasonings
- 6 oz. of thin spaghetti
1. Cut the tomatoes in small cubes. (I usually save the skin. Most of the nutrients are in the skin. After it's cooked, no one can see them.)
2. Puree the tomatoes with a blender.
3. Heat up two Tbsp of oil. Cook the garlic for 1 min, then add the ground beef. Make sure it's thoroughly cooked.
4. Add the onion. Saute for 1 min.
5. Add the tomato puree. Cook until the sauce is reduced, about 10 minutes.
6. Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the package.
7. Add the Parmesan cheese, Italian spices and seasonings. (If desire, can use 1 Tbsp corn starch and 1/4 cup water to thicken the sauce.)
8. Pour the sauce over the pasta.